Thursday, July 12, 2007

Today is Friday for me!

I am off tomorrow! Yay!!! My mom and stepdad are coming into town to spend the weekend with us. We bought a house in April, so they are coming up to see the house, go shopping, etc. They are coming in tonight and staying until Sunday. It will be fun. Also, we are eating at Cheesecake Factory on Saturday. My stepdad has never been.

My husband started classes on Monday. He is getting his Master's in Mental Health Counseling. He then wants to get his Ph.D. I ordered his books for him online. Something weird happened with the order, and they sent two of the same book (one new, one used). I called them, and of course they said it was my fault, so I could send the book back (paying $10 in shipping), order the correct book, and they would refund the money for the returned book. I returned the NEW book. Today, I found out they credited me for the USED book. I called. They emailed receiving to ask why it had been entered in as "Used". Receiving told them it had a crease in the front cover and scratches on the back cover. There is NO way that is the truth. I wrapped the book in the bubble wrap THEY PROVIDED, then taped the whole bundle to the bottom of the box. There is no way that book was damaged. But of course, they won't do anything about it. I am SO MAD. I normally don't do this, but I really let the customer service rep know how unhappy I was. Obviously, I wasn't rude to her personally, and I told her I knew it wasn't her fault, but come on! Their receipt (and their website) tout their great customer service, but it was complete crap from beginning to end.

So I called my husband. I have a really hard time when I know we've spent money on something like this. Basically, $30 just went down the drain. We are super tight on funds right now because of starting school/quitting work. And, I have always had anxiety where finances are concerned anyway. My husband is the exact opposite. This caused many disagreements in teh beginning of our relationship, but not so much anymore, because he has really helped me get a grip on reality in this area.

After I called him, I felt a little better. We just decided that we will call his school and complain. This is the bookstore that they sell their books through. Normally, we order textbooks from Amazon or Ebay, because they are cheaper. We were able to get one of his texts from Ebay, but these other two are "custom" books, so we couldn't. We're basically stuck, because in the future if he needs other "custom" books, we'll have to use this place again. That really bothers me, because we are the kind of people that will totally boycott a business if they have bad service.

Anyway, enough about that. On a positive note, my husband is really enjoying his courses so far. He is taking Research in Human Growth and Development; Theories of Psychotherapy and Theories of Personality. I have been helping him by reading the same material and discussing things with him, and it is really interesting stuff! I am so happy for him, because I think he will be a great therapist one day. He is really good at reading people and understanding their feelings and motives. That's kind of funny, because people usually say that about women, and it couldn't be further from the truth with me! I feel like I never really know what makes people tick!

Well, it's 10:00 a.m. Seven more hours to go. Why does the day before your day off go so slowly?

I may or may not post any tomorrow and this weekend, since my family is going to be in town. Hopefully I will have time, though. If not, hope everyone has a happy Friday and a great weekend!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

that stinks about the book. i hate having to use a place because they are the "only game in town." enjoy your weekend and enjoy that cheesecake!! yumm!

Mrs. T2 said...

I hope you have a great long weekend!!!

If you don't mind some advice about the book situation, I would suggest you talk to a supervisor. I am a huge believer of good customer sevice and I always get somewhere when I ask to talk to a supervisor if my service has been poor!!!

I have a friend who's hubby finshed up his masters 3 years ago and is now working towards his PhD in psychology. Eventually, he wants to have his own practice, but he is currently working in a mental health hospital and really enjoys it!!! It sounds like your DH really is enjoying his classes!!!

Have a piece of cheescake for me and happy birthday!!!

Mrs. T2 said...

Sorry, I had a mommy brain moment....I have no idea why I wished you a happy birthday!!!

Jenny said...

I think your husband is smart to complain to the school. Hopefully they can straighten out the issue. Also, I would write a complaint letter to the book store. That is so wrong and I would let them know it. Sometimes when they get formal complaints, you get more action.

Trish J said...

There you are! I found your blog through Brittny - I'm so glad I did!

School book stores are such a scam - no matter what degree you're getting, no matter what campus you're on. I hope that you're able to get your money back - little victories count, too!

I've been to the cheesecake Factory a couple of times - if I recall, the toblerone cheesecake was pretty awesome. Enjoy ...

Destination Beautiful said...

First of all- Hahahahaha! You eat a bag of chips for breakfast!? That is so funny! I won't tell your husband, don't worry. :)
The Cheesecake factory sounds divine! I hope you enjoyed everything- you'll have to give me a play by play about what you ordered. :)
Sorry about the books. I have spending anxiety as well. Will helps calm me down too. I'm glad it worked out.
Hope you're having a good weekend!

Rusti said...

The Cheesecake Factory?? I've never been either - and I LOVE cheesecake... I am so jealous! And I would have been extremely ticked off about that book!! I totally feel your pain and wish you luck in getting something resolved through the school... and I hope that next time you will be able to get all of his books off Amazon or eBay. Sorry you had to deal with that crap. :(